Science and Sailing Weekends are moments for volunteers of the organisation to practice science and sailing.
During those special moments, volunteers can gather and meet. It is also a great opportunity to experiment our measurment tools at sea and to practice sailing while learning about participatory science protocols.
- Share about science at sea with the volunteers of the organisation (and local partners ),
- Train on how to implement participatory science programs at sea,
- Gain experience in sailing ,
- Test measurement tools and protocols for our science programs.
Typical program (indicative)
- Friday evening: arrival of the participants.
- Saturday: workshop in the local fablab to prepare the scientific equipment.
- Sunday: sailing and measurements / sampling at sea.
On the spot
- Accommodation on board boats (or local volunteers depending on places on board).
- Meals on board (except for Saturday evening).
- Sanitary on the harbor.
- Electricity at the port at night.
Price and conditions
It is necessary to be a member of the organisation to participate in these weekends.
A fee of € 65 is required for each participant. It includes all costs on site (boat, meals, accommodation, equipment…) except Saturday evening meal (diner will be taken outside to discover local life) and transport to come to the port. This rate is possible because the organisation meet some poart of the cost so we can guarantee activities accessible to members and therefore a dynamic volunteer life?
Sometimes, weekends take place at the same time as participatory science actions of local structures, this allow us to participate into already existing events. For example, the organisation is often participating in “Objectif Plancton” operations that are taking place in Brest and Concarneau (annual plankton sampling operation at sea).
Sailing weekends will not be canceled due to bad weather conditions. It will always be possible to practice seamanship , science or other workshops, depending on the participants and needs of the moment.
Weekends start on Saturday morning at 10am and end on Sunday evening at 17h. It is possible to arrive from Friday evening for those who come from far away and enjoy, at no extra cost, accommodation on board.
Usually, the Science and Sailing Weekends are held in Brest, Port du Chateau (55 Quai Eric Tabarly). You must go on your own at the venue of the event.